Hey, Guys Welcome to Screen Overlay Detected Android Help Community!!! We are here to help you guys to solve Screen Overlay Detected error on your Android device. Before discussing the solution to Screen Overlay Detected we will discuss some basic parameters like What is Screen Overlay? How, When And Why this error appears on any Android device? To which Android devices this error Appears? and finally How to turn off Screen Overlay Detected on any Android Device?
Screen Overlay Detected looks something like this:
Screen Overlay Detected:
To change this permission setting, you first have to turn off screen overlay from Settings > Apps
What is Screen Overlay Detected?
Screen Overlay Detected is one of the most annoying error caused especially on marshmallow version of Android devices. Whenever you are installing any new application to your marshmallow version of the Android device then you need to grant some permissions such as contact, storage, camera etc. During granting permissions if screen overlay of some application is active then a sudden popup with message “Screen Overlay Detected” will appear and you won’t be able to proceed further until you turn off screen overlay of all applications.
Screen Overlay is an essential feature of most of the Android applications. Screen Overlay feature enables any application to appear on the top of other applications like chat head of Facebook messenger. As per marshmallow Android Terms and Policies, Screen Overlay of all apps must be turned off while asking for different permissions from users (Such as Contact, Storage, Camera, etc.).
Devices in Which Screen Overlay Detected Appears
Screen Overlay Detected appears on all Android devices which are upgraded to Android Marshmallow. Screen Overlay may appear in all Marshmallow Android devices such as Samsung, Lenovo, Techno, Oneplus, LG, Redmi MI, Oppo, Vivo and many more devices. There may be a different setting configuration in different devices, but we have got one working solution for all Android devices. Now let’s jump to the main section of How to turn off Screen Overlay on any Android device.
If you are interested to read about method to turn off screen overlay detected on particular Samsung device then you can,
- How to turn off Screen Overlay Detected on Samsung
- How to turn off Screen Overlay on LG
- How to turn off Screen Overlay S5
- Screen Overlay Detected S6
Why Does Screen Overlay Detected error Appears?
Whenever you install any new app on your marshmallow Android device then you must have seen the popups of certain permissions, such as Contact, Storage, and Recording. If active Screen Overlay feature of any app is observed then a sudden popup with Screen Overlay Detected message will appear.
Until and unless you disable Screen Overlay of any app, this popup would keep appearing again and again. So it’s better to apply some permanent solution, because if you would apply any temporary solution then this error will appear again when you will install any new application on your Android Device.
How to turn off Screen Overlay Detected on any Android Device?
Quick Solution 1:
Screen Overlay Detected
We have got this quick solution to turn off Screen Overlay Detected Popups on any Android device. To apply this solution first you must know that which app may cause this error. Apps which can appear on top other app screens can cause this error.
Apps that can Cause Screen Overlay Detected error:
- Chat head of Facebook Messenger.
- Apps which have Animated Rocket Cleaners on Home Screen
- 360 Security
- Es File Explorer
- All Night Mode apps such as Twilight
- All Security and Antivirus Apps
- Internet Speed Meter
- LUX App
- UC Browser
- All DU apps such as DU Booster and Cleaner, DU Battery Saver, DU Antivirus
So once you know which app on your device is causing Screen Overlay Detected popups to appear then you ready to apply this quick solution:
- Tap on Open Settings when Screen Overlay Detected popup appears.Click Here to Read: How to force Screen Overlay Detected Popup to Appear Again
- Go to Settings
- Tap on Apps
- Select the App which was showing this error
- Click on App Permissions
- Toggle On any Permission
- And Screen Overlay Detected Popup will appear again
- Now the list of apps with active Screen Overlay feature will appear, just toggle OFF Screen Overlay of app which you doubt, it may by any security or cleaner app, chat head, night mode app or any app which I mentioned in my above list.
As mentioned earlier too, Facebook Messenger float on the screen of other apps hence this is the main culprit but now Facebook has already overcome this screen overlay issue by instantly turning off screen overlay of Messenger, as soon as you close the chat heads and activating it again instantly whenever chat heads again appear on the screen. So now no need to worry about Facebook Messenger Chat Heads.
Once you disable Screen Overlay of apps which were causing Screen Overlay Detected popups to appear, this error won’t appear again.
Turn off Screen Overlay of All Apps:
If above solution of turning off screen overlay of only few selected apps doesn’t worked then try this solution in which we will turn off the screen overlay of all apps including system apps due to which screen overlay detected error won’t appear again. Settings in Samsung Device are bit different hence we have got different procedure below this solution to turn off Screen Overlay of all apps on Samsung Device. Screen Overlay is very useful feature hence you can letter turn it on for some apps like Facebook Messenger and Message App in future.
Note: Procedure to turn off Screen Overlay off all apps on Samsung Device is after this solution.
Follow below Screen Overlay Settings to turn off Screen Overlay on any Android devices:
- Open Settings.
- Scroll down to Apps option.
- Click on Three Dots option situated at the top right corner of your mobile screen.
- Select Draw Over Other Apps.
- Now again click on Three Dots.
- Select Show System Apps.
- Now the list of all apps along with System Apps, whose Screen Overlay is active will appear.
- Turn off screen overlay of all apps one by one.
Now you have successfully disabled Screen Overlay of all apps. Now Screen Overlay won’t appear again until you manually turn it on. You can manually turn it on for Facebook Messenger if you want to use its feature of chat head.
Turn off Screen Overlay of all apps on Samsung Device:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Apps and then select Application Manager option.
- Tap on More option situated at the top right corner of your mobile screen.
- Select Apps that can Appear on Top.
- Now again click on More option situated at the top right corner of your mobile screen.
- Select Show System Apps.
- Now the list of applications with active Screen Overlay will appear.
- Turn off screen overlay of all apps one by one.
Now you have successfully disabled Screen Overlay of all apps on your Samsung Device. You turn on Screen Overlay of some apps such as Facebook Messenger if you want to use its feature of chat head feature.Click Here to Read which Solution worked for me:
I uninstalled all of the apps which are permitted to appear on the top of other apps. So I proceeded to “Apps that can appear on the top of other apps” or Draw Over other Apps lists on my Samsung phone by:
- More (Top right corner)
- Apps that can appear on top
The Same option is available on other Android Phones:
- Configure programs
- Draw Over Other Apps
And then I analyzed each and every app which had permissions to appear on top of other apps. First I filtered those out apps such as File Manager Apps and “ES File Explorer” was one among those. So I straightforwardly uninstalled ES File Explorer and after that Screen Overlay Detected just disappeared from my Samsung phone. I also recommend same for all of you guys, analyse which app is causing Screen Overlay issue on your device and just uninstall those apps.
Uninstall Some Unwanted Apps
Screen Overlay Apps is also used by some unwanted security and cleaner Apps. Some Apps such as Clean Master, DU Booster, ES File Explorer uses this feature majorly on your device. If Screen Overlay Detected popups still appears after applying solution 1 and 2, then uninstall some unwanted apps such as Clean Master, DU Booster, and ES File Explorer. These three apps are just examples, just uninstall all apps which are currently not useful till one month, or apps which haven’t used since last month. This will also solve lagging issues on your device and will also free up some ROM on your device.Read more about Screen Overlay Apps
- Disable or Force Stop Facebook Messenger for sometime because Facebook Messenger uses Chat Head feature which allow you to talk with your friends while you are using any other app.
- Uninstall all apps which have Animated Rocket Cleaners on Home Screen, such apps just pretend that they are cleaning junk files from your device but they are just earning bucks by displaying popup of ads.
- Uninstall 360 Security app because it also uses Screen Overlay feature. To be true Android Device doesn’t need any antivirus app. Android was developed from Linux and Linux is highly secure Operating System, hence Android doesn’t need any Antivirus.
- Force Stop Es File Explorer for sometime because ES File Explorer majorly uses Floating App feature. ES File Explorer also pretend as App Cleaner and Security App to stay installed on your device.
- All Night Mode apps such as Twilight also uses screen overlay feature. Night Mode apps are great beneficial for our eyes hence not need to uninstall this app, just force stop for temporary time.
- Uninstall All Security and Antivirus Apps, because somewhere they uses Screen Overlay to come on the top of other apps.
- Force Stop Shareit App because this app uses cleaner rocket on home, which may causes Screen Overlay Detected popup to appear.
- Internet Speed Meter appears on top of all apps hence you must also disable or force stop Internet Speed Meter too.
- LUX App also appear on top of other apps, hence you must uninstall Lux app from your Android Device
- UC Browser gives animated charging animation on top of other apps while you are charging your device. Force Stop UC Browser until Screen Overlay problem is solved for you.
- You must uninstall all DU apps such as DU Booster and Cleaner, DU Battery Saver, DU Antivirus from your device, because these are worst apps in the Play Store. These apps just occupy garbage space on your device and does nothing. These apps are majorly responsible for Screen Overlay Detected popups.
- Sometimes apps which changes screen color may also responsible for Screen Overlay Detected issue on your device. Some screen filter apps usually changes color of your screen such as Night Mode Apps. From Android Marshmallow Version Bluelight Filter app also comes inbuilt on Android, which runs in background and and which usually uses Screen Overlay feature to changes the screen color. Turn off the bluelight filter and this might help you guys.
- Some of the popular apps causes this error are Facebook, CleanMaster, Lux, and other apps.
- Also Uninstall Clean Master, DU Speed Booster, Go Speed & other cleaners and speed boosters from your phone.
Once your Screen Overlay Detected issue is solved and if now you want to use Screen Overlay feature by some apps such as Chat Head of Facebook Messenger and Screen Recorder then follow below settings to Turn on Screen Overlay of selected apps:
- Open Settings
- Open Apps
- Click on Three Dots
- Select Draw Over other Apps
- Select the App whom you want to allow Screen Overlay
- Toggle On Screen Overlay for that App
That’s It! Now you can use Screen Overlay feature by that app.
- 1 What is Screen Overlay Detected?
- 2 Devices in Which Screen Overlay Detected Appears
- 3 Why Does Screen Overlay Detected error Appears?
- 4 How to turn off Screen Overlay Detected on any Android Device?
- 5 Screen Overlay Detected
- 6 Apps that can Cause Screen Overlay Detected error:
- 7 Turn off Screen Overlay of All Apps:
- 8 Turn off Screen Overlay of all apps on Samsung Device:
- 9 Uninstall Some Unwanted Apps
- 10 Turn Off Screen Overlay using Safe Mode
Turn Off Screen Overlay using Safe Mode
If any above solution didn’t worked then you can use Safe Mode to tackle this error. First you must know in which app Screen Overlay Detected error appears. First open Safe Mode by following below settings:
Safe Mode in Stock Android:
If you are using any stock android such as Moto, Nexus, HTC or Lenovo then follow below settings to turn on Safe Mode on your device:
- Press and hold power button
- Tap and hold on Power Off option until your device popup for Safe Mode
- Tap on OK to reboot to Safe Mode
Safe Mode on Samsung Device:
If your device is Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung S5, Samsung J7 / Prime then follow below settings to turn ON Safe Mode on any Samsung Device:
- First Turn off your Samsung Device
- Hold power button until Samsung Logo Appears
- Then release Power Button and hold Volume Up Button until your device boot up and you see Safe Mode in corner
What after Safe Mode:
Once you are in Safe Mode then turn on all permissions of App in which Screen Overlay was Appearing. Follow below settings to Turn ON all permissions on App in which Screen Overlay Detected error was appearing,
- Open Settings
- Click on Apps
- Select the App which was causing Screen Overlay Detected error to appear (For example, while opening Opera I was seeing this error)
- Click on App Permissions
- Now Toggle On all permissions of App
This Safe Mode method to Solve Screen Overlay Detected error is working for most of the guys hence it must work for you too. You must try this method to disable Screen Overlay Detected popups from any Android Device.
Now you know how to turn off screen overlay on any Android device. Hope this resolve Screen overlay Detected error on your Android device. We would be glad to answer your queries in a comment section below.